Gardiner Codes flag in saving or utility to post-elaborate gly files

Typing in JSesh it's possible and very useful to use phonetic values instead of Gardiner Codes for example 'A' instead of G1. This feature (useful) could bring to some problems, trying to post-elaborate the files, for example searching pattern, 'A' and G1 are equivalent, but a 'Find' would match only one of them. Imagine working with files typed by different people, everyone known or memorize only some shortcuts and use them, the same text typed by two people may result very different. This could be a problem in building libraries of typed texts. This could be solved if saving a file JSesh substitutes every shortcut with corresponding Gardiner Code. But, many people could not like it because they want that JSesh retains their shortcuts. Probably a flag in saving window (or a new kind of export function) that one could choose, could be the right solution. The second solution could be a separate utility, to use only when you need it which can elaborate a .gly file and do all the needed substitutions. If you want I can write and share it (I know some java programming), but I need some info on where are stored in JSesh phonetic shortcuts to Gardiner signs. If I try to map them looking sign by sign in Palette I can miss something and above all I'll miss new shortcuts or modfied shortcuts in new releases.

Thanks

Michele

Thanks for the suggestion and help offer ; I agree that it's a reasonable idea (although I'm not sure that the phonetic shortcuts are really worth saving in the JSesh files : JSesh blurs the difference between those which are codes and those which are only user interface facilities, and besides, I don't think people use the shortcut in a linguistically coherent way (I, for one would use "xpr" each time I need a scarab, and won't switch to L1 when the sign has the value "t" or "tA" in Ptolemaic texts).

In fact, the utility is already there as far as encoding is concerned (I use it in the Ramses project) :

http://jsesh.qenherkhopeshef.org/javadoc/jsesh/mdcUtils/MDCNormalizer.html

(I should of course explain what I mean by "normalize" in the documentation, but that's simply replacing phonetic codes by Gardiner codes).

Apart from that, information about individual glyphs can be extracted through the singleton class http://jsesh.qenherkhopeshef.org/javadoc/jsesh/hieroglyphs/DefaultHieroglyphsManager.html

Please note that the package structure of JSesh is under heavy rewriting right now (have a look at http://jsesh.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/jsesh/ for the current development version). Some parts of the file-saving system will be re-written too, as I'm moving to an application framework (in order to be able to open multiple versions of JSesh).

Best regards,

Serge Rosmorduc

At the moment if you page through alternative signs using the spacebar, one sign - I think it's the 1st - comes up twice - i.e. you get the same picture twice. The difference is in the MdC produced. One time you get the Gardiner Code the other time you get the phonetic transcription - actually I rather suppose that this is the tag.

Anyway, this behavior is more than peculiar and seems to be a remnant of the idea "phonetic coding" versus "Gardiner coding".

Of course, if you implement a "resolve to Gardiner Code" flag, this 2nd problem could be rectified.

Anyone wanting to see what I am driveling on about - simply key in iw and watch what happens as you space along through the variants. The glyph N18 – sand / bread-loaf - comes up in MdC twice - as "N18" and as "iw"

Actually, the origin for this is that JSesh supports the original Manuel de Codage, which includes some "phonetic codes". Some users might want to see them (especially when using MDC for text-only communication).

Serge Rosmorduc